Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The White Witch of Rose Hall


            After my parents died of yellow fever in Haiti, I was reared to maturity by my nanny.  When I came of age, I left the island of Haiti for the island of Jamaica in search of a better life.  I intend to have financial security.  I met and married John Palmer and lived on his beautiful plantation estate, Rose Hall.  Complete with a sugar plantation and thousands of slaves.
            I have a way with men, and I have way with my male slaves.  I’m as brutal and sadistic as any male plantation slave owner.  I’m also gaining a reputation as a “black widow”.  People are starting to wonder why every husband I have gets sick and dies.  My fortune grows after each husband’s untimely demise.  I am three times a widow.  My slaves are also getting restless.  They don’t like my treatment of them.

            Well, no party lasts forever.  I was done in by my black lover and company.  But I still can’t leave this place, its beauty, the scenery, the memories.  People claim to see me riding on horseback and hear my footsteps in the mansion halls.  Come by and see me sometime.  Tours of my former estate are a popular attraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment